Beetroot, Goat's Cheese & Anchovy Salad
- 600g cooked and peeled beetroot (vacuum packs are easiest to use)
- 4 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 85g watercress
- 250g crumbly British goat's cheese (such as Ragstone from cheese shops, or Capricorn from supermarkets)
- 12 small white marinated anchovies , from the deli counter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 lemon wedges
- soda bread, to serve
1. The day before, cut each beetroot into quarters, tip into a saucepan and spoon in the redcurrant jelly and vinegar. Bring to the boil over a high heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until the beetroot is well coated. Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool, then cover and keep in the fridge.
2. About an hour before serving, remove the beetroot and sauce from the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
3. To serve, spoon the beetroot and sauce on to 6 serving plates. Top with a little pile of watercress, crumble over the goat's cheese and top with the anchovies. Season with salt and ground black pepper and drizzle over the oil. Put a lemon wedge on each plate for squeezing, and serve with soda bread on the side.